Polycystic ovary syndrome or PCOS affects more than 6-12 percent of women during childbearing years. This is a very common disorder of females that causes the ovaries to secret many male hormones, thereby resulting in irregular periods, weight gain and issues with ovulation and fertility.
It occurs because of a sedentary lifestyle hormone imbalance, and when it is not managed properly, it results in irregular menstrual patterns, stress, pregnancy based complications and infertility.
As per recent studies, yoga poses are being recommended for easing some of the symptoms of PCOS.
Let us know how Yoga helps in managing PCOS?
Yoga is like a natural health prescription for managing PCOS. When you do Yoga for PCOS, it assists you in boosting your health and decreasing your stress levels by loss of weight and rectifying hormone imbalance in a very natural and healing way. Studies have proved that doing Yoga on a daily basis for about one hour for a consecutive 12 weeks is more effective than traditional physical exercises.
Yoga poses help enhance general well-being and, at the same time, also eases symptoms associated with a lot of diseases. PCOS is one of them. Have a look at some of the major benefits of Yoga for PCOS:
- Yoga helps relieve stress: Stress has a major effect on PCOS, which is why it is very important for relaxing your mind. This is what Yoga does for you. Research has shown that yoga helps relieve stress and decrease the stress hormones in the body.
- Yoga helps lose weight: Weight gain is one of the most common symptoms of PCOS. When we do Yoga for PCOS, it is one of the best ways to keep your weight under control. As per studies, Yoga boosts your overall metabolism, thereby encouraging calorie burning.
- Yoga increase fertility: Infertility is one of the greatest concern of any woman suffering from PCOS and Yoga is one of the best ways to deal with it. Yoga for PCOS helps restore neuro-hormonal balances and enhances blood circulation to your pelvic region. Moreover, it also decreases testosterone levels, thereby encouraging fertility.
- Yoga enhances gastrointestinal metabolism: PCOS can lead to many gastrointestinal complaints. Yoga poses offer much-required massage to your digestive organs, improving metabolism and functioning.
Learn the yoga in a proper way by joining one of the best yoga school in Rishikesh India.
What are various Yoga poses for PCOS?
If you have PCOS or are at risk of suffering from PCOS, one of the best solutions is getting indulged in Yoga. This not only cures your disease but also eases your PCOS symptoms.
Have a look at some of the best Yoga poses for PCOS:
- Badhakonasana or Butterfly pose
Butterfly pose is one of the best and most simple PCOS poses. This pose assists in promoting relaxation in your body. Moreover, it also relieves all kinds of menstrual stress and discomforts.
What to do?
- Keep your spine straight and legs apart while you sit.
- Now bend down your knees and bring your feet close to each other while pressing on your heels.
- Now start fretting your legs gradually and smoothly, similar to a butterfly’s wings.
- Supta Baddha Konasana or Reclining Butterfly Pose
This is one of the best Yoga poses for PCOS, and it is quite more relaxing than the butterfly pose. You can practice it by keeping a pillow or a cushion under your hip for enhancing support for beginners.
How to do it?
- To start, you can lie down on a yoga mat by turning your knees and your feet lying on the ground.
- Bring your heels very close to your groin, put pressure on your palms on the floor beside your hips and then contract your abs while you breathe out.
- Now start exhaling while you bring your knees towards the ground, stretching the inner thighs and groin.
- Now keep the feet soles together so that the outer edges are flat on the floor.
- Keep your shoulders relaxed as you stay in this position for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Bharadvajasana or Bharadvaja’s twist
This yoga pose is a relaxing seated PCOS pose that works with your spine and assists in normalizing menstrual issues. It also assists in soothing the nervous system and relaxing your muscles and spine.
How to do it?
- Sit on your yoga mat by keeping your legs stretched, and arms rested on both sides of your body.
- Bend down your knees very close to your left hip so that all of your weight is one right buttock.
- Keep your left ankle on the right foot ankle.
- At the same time, position your right hand on the bottom and then your left hand on your right thigh.
- Twist your body to the right side, keeping your weight on the right buttock.
- Hold on to this position for about 1 minute and then replace it with the original position on the other side.
- Bhujangasana or Cobra Pose
Women of every age can avail benefit from cobra pose. It is a very simple and easy yoga asana for PCOS. This pose helps in encouraging healthy ovaries by soothing your stomach and allowing it to function properly. This pose also assist in improving digestion and decreasing stress.
How to do it?
- Lie down on your stomach, keeping your toes flat on the ground and legs together.
- Keep your hands under your shoulders and your elbows close to your torso.
- When you start inhaling deeply, leave off your head and torso from the ground.
- Keep your arch curved and support your torso using both of your hands.
- Tilt your head in an upward direction.
- Position your shoulders down and away from your ears and breathe normally.
- Wait for about 30 seconds and then go back to starting position.
- Naukasana or Boat pose
This is one of the most demanding poses for PCOS. However, it also assists in decreasing body fat, enhancing the flow of blood to reproductive organs and improving ovary function.
How to do it?
- Lie down on your back, keeping your feet together.
- Keep your arms beside your body.
- Take some deep breaths to lift your head, feet, and chest off the floor with your hands stretching towards your feet.
- Now keep your fingers and toes straight and start exhaling deeply.
- You can now feel the tension in your navel as well as your abdominal muscles.
- Hold on to this position for about 30 seconds and then go to the start position.
Anulom Vilom for PCOS
PCOS is also considered a Pshycomatic disorder, and thus it needs both psychic and somatic treatments. However, if you practice Anulom Vilom daily for at least 10-15 minutes, it is a great way for destressing and curing health disorders.
It purifies your energy channels and allows a resistance-free flow of your vital energy. It promotes relaxation of your mind, soul and body.
This asana is one of the best breathing exercises that help fight oxidative stress, enhances blood circulation to every organ and rectifies glandular secretion. In addition, it assists in weight loss by possessing a good influence on your pancreas.
A 200 hour yoga teacher training in Rishikesh offers training in all of these important poses and pranayama.
Living with PCOS is frustrating. Looking for ways to manage those symptoms and boost overall health helps you feel better. For example, doing Yoga regularly helps ease symptoms of PCOS and reduce testosterone levels. It also promotes relaxation.
But keep in mind, Yoga is only part of a whole treatment plan for PCOS. Proper diet, exercise, strength training and medication are all important options.